The Rajiv Gandhi Science Centre is a parastatal body working under the aegis of the Ministry of Education and Human Resources, Tertiary Education and Scientific Research. The Rajiv Gandhi Science Centre Trust Fund was established in 1994 by an Act of Parliament with the aim of promoting Science and Technology, supplement school education through non-formal programmes and create awareness on developments in Science and Technology among the public. A Memorandum of Understanding was signed by the Ministry of Education & Scientific Research and the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), India, in 1998 for setting up of the Rajiv Gandhi Science Centre on a piece of land of 5.3 acres. The Indian Government, through NCSM, has provided exhibits on donation, trained key staff and helped in the planning of the Science Centre. The Government of Mauritius has provided land, a 4000m2 building, furniture and equipment and provides grant for the running of the Centre. The Centre was inaugurated by Smt. Sonia Gandhi on 30 November 2004 and has been open to the public since 1 December 2004.
To be a Centre of excellence in the communication and promotion of Science and Technology.
To serve as a Centre for non-formal education and popularization of Science and Technology among the population through various media.
- Create awareness for Science and Technology.
- Encourage creativity and innovation particularly among young people.
- Supplement education in Science and Technology at all levels.
- Enhance public understanding of Science and Technology.
- Professionalism - We ensure high standard in our work and services
- Best Practices - We value quality and innovation
- Teamwork - We encourage team spirit and support to achieve excellence
- Timeliness - We are very commited to meet timely targets and always respect deadlines
- We will provide high quality, fun, innovative and contemporary programmes, supported by accurate, easily understood information to entertain and stimulate your interest in Science and Technology,
- We ensure that you feel welcomed and valued and are treated equally, with courtesy and respect.
- We welcome all enquiries, comments and suggestions.
- Develop new exhibits on emerging areas in Science and Technology.
- Encourage students to undertake science projects that will enhance their creativity, reasoning ability and skills.
- Organize lectures, seminars and workshops for various target groups.
- Develop interactive educational programmes in Science and Technology
- Acquire and disseminate latest information in Science and Technology
- Create awareness on impact of Science and Technology in society.
- Collaborate with other institutions for the promotion of Science and Technology